McDonald’s lovers will have a reason to be cheerful from tomorrow after it announced the prices of some of its top menu items would be slashed.
Whether it is a Big Mac, chicken nuggets or a Happy Meal, prices will be cut after the Chancellor Rishi Sunk said last week VAT would go down from 20% to 5%.
It’s the first time McDonald’s will cut prices across its restaurants and the Big Mac is now set to cost as much as it did in 2015.
But, anyone hoping they can sit tight as they wait for their McDelivery to rock up will be disappointed as the cut back only applies to drive thru and takeaways.
A spokeswoman for the fast-food giant confirmed the move.
She said: “Following the Chancellor’s VAT reduction, we have recommended to our franchisees a price reduction on meal bundles and McDonald’s classics, like the Big Mac, Quarter Pounder with Cheese and six Chicken McNuggets.
“While prices may vary slightly in certain locations, the recommendation includes a 40p reduction on Extra Value Meals menu and 30p for every Happy Meal.
“Additionally, with breakfast now available across the UK, we have recommended a 50p reduction on breakfast meals and up to 30p off the price of single McMuffins.
“These new lower prices will be available from 5am Wednesday, 15 July for meals purchased through the Drive Thru or in our restaurants for takeaway or dine-in (when we reopen).”
But, while the newly-reduced menu will be available for some items – franchises set their own prices, so customers might want to check to see what the cut will be.
It also will not be the same across the board, with certain items – namely desserts and cold drinks maintaining the same price.
But, McDonald’s did not announce the return of its popular Monopoly promotion – with it still being cancelled.
This is because a number of the holidays set aside as prizes have been “impacted by current and ongoing restrictions on international travel”.
The company added that it didn’t feel “appropriate” to continue the game at this time – but fans assumed it would make a return later this year.
While many hoped to be peeling off Monopoly stickers by autumn, they’ll have to wait until next year.
McDonald’s UK & Ireland CEO, Paul Pomroy, said customers won’t be able to partake in the competition until 2021.