The most affordable places to buy a home in Britain have been named by property site Zoopla.
Looking at more than 1,000 towns in England, Scotland and Wales, the property site then compared what homes were worth with average local wages.
It discovered that there are still places when a home can be afforded with just over twice what people are paid there in a year.
Zoopla consumer expert Tom Parker said: “It’s important for buyers or potential buyers to know where they can get the most for their money when purchasing a property.
“With budgets tighter than usual, we want to ensure that buying a property is still attainable – even during these unprecedented times.”
The 10 most affordable towns in Britain
- Shildon, County Durham – 2.11 local salaries
- Cumnock, East Ayrshire – 2.39 local salaries
- Ferryhill, County Durham – 2.47 local salaries
- Peterlee, County Durham – 2.5 local salaries
- Girvan, South Ayrshire – 2.61 local salaries
- Cleator Moor, Cumbria – 2.61 local salaries
- Stevenston, North Ayrshire – 2.69 local salaries
- Ferndale, Rhondda Cynon Taff – 2.76 local salaries
- Mauchline, East Ayrshire – 2.8 local salaries
- Stanley, County Durham – 2.8 local salaries
As well as looking a what was cheapest overall, Zoopla worked out the most affordable places in each region – showing people what moving a few towns over could save them.
“Lockdown has resulted in a shift in the way we work, as more employers are allowing their employees to work from home for the foreseeable – and as a result, our property priorities are changing,” Parker said.
“The desire for greater indoor and outdoor space and fewer people having to commute into the office means that the property field is larger and more achievable than ever before – so make use of the analysis and find out a suitable, but most importantly affordable, location to find your dream home.”
The most affordable towns in each region
- North East – Shildon – 2.11 local salaries
- Scotland – Cumnock – 2.39 local salaries
- North West – Cleator Moor – 2.61 local salaries
- Wales – Ferndale – 2.76 local salaries
- Yorkshire and The Humber – Withernsea – 3.67 local salaries
- West Midlands – Rugeley – 5.19 local salaries
- East Midlands – Gainsborough – 4.47 local salaries
- South West – Cinderford – 6.55 local salaries
- East – Wisbech – 6.56 local salaries
- South East – Newport – 6.36 local salaries