The Prime Minister of Portugal has vented his fury over his country being left off the UK’s ‘air bridge’ list.
António Costa tweeted a chart showing the low levels of coronavirus in the Algarve, a Portuguese tourist region, in comparison to the UK.
It comes after the Portuguese foreign affairs minister branded it “absurd” that Portugal had been left off the new list despite the UK having 28 times more deaths related to coronavirus.
Labour and Which? Travel also said the quarantine measures announced today were a “mess”.
The Department for Transport (DfT) published the list of 73 countries and territories, which features popular short-haul destinations such as Spain, France, Italy, Turkey, Greece and Cyprus, as well as long-haul locations including Australia, Barbados, Hong Kong, Japan, New Zealand and Vietnam.
But China, Portugal, Thailand, the Maldives and the US are among the notable absentees.
Labour said the Government’s failure to negotiate air bridges was “an indictment of their failure to tackle the crisis at home”.
Shadow transport secretary Jim McMahon said: “Labour, like families and businesses up and down the country, are keen for the Government’s quarantine measures to be lessened, but this is a mess.
“First we had the quarantine that they were slow to implement, then they said they’d do air bridges.
“Now we see a plan to let residents of 60 or more countries into England without any reciprocal arrangements.
“The fact they have been unable to negotiate air bridges is an indictment of their failure to tackle the crisis at home.
“They were too slow to take lockdown, too slow to order PPE (personal protective equipment) and too slow to protect our country.”
The Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) published a separate list of 67 countries and territories which will be exempt from its advisory against all non-essential travel from Saturday, making it easier for UK tourists to be covered by travel insurance while visiting.
Although the FCO included most of the places named by the DfT, among those missing are Fiji, Mauritius and the Seychelles.
There are also some destinations which the FCO listed but the DfT did not, such as Canada, Estonia, Malaysia, Slovakia, Slovenia,Singapore and the Portuguese regions of the Azores and Madeira.
Rory Boland, editor of Which? Travel, said holidaymakers having to check the two lists and for any restrictions in their destination country would be “forgiven for thinking this announcement hasn’t been thought through”.
He added: “The Government’s attempt to relax international travel restrictions has been a complete mess, leaving millions of people with no clarity over whether their holiday can go ahead and less chance of getting their money back if they can’t go.
“If the Government is to have any hope of getting travel back up and running, it must urgently provide clear and coherent guidance on foreign travel to remedy the mass confusion caused so far.”