Tomorrow is national fish and chips day.
And, in case you’re saving your takeaway treat for Friday night, we thought this recipe would fill the gap and be the perfect mid-week meal.
The twist on traditional fish dinners uses cheap, and incredibly healthy mackerel – a fantastic source of omega-3.
Plus, it also incorporates lovely Cornish new potatoes, rich clotted cream and cheddar and even an aubergine.
Give the recipe, supplied by Seasonal Spuds, a whirl.
It might just become a new family favourite…
Mackerel and new potato bake
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 35 minutes
- 4 Mackerel fillets
- 1 large aubergine, thinly sliced
- 600g New/Baby potatoes
- 100g breadcrumbs
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil
- Sea salt and black pepper
For the sauce
- 8 tbsp of clotted cream
- 4 tsp English mustard
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 4 tbsp cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 tsp oregano
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- To serve
- A handful of fresh parsley, chopped
- Wedges of fresh lemon
- Your choice of green vegetables or salad
- Preheat the oven to 200 o C (fan 180 o C). Give the potatoes a wash and then simmer them in salted water for 7 minutes and drain.
- Meanwhile, fry the fish gently in a little olive oil, skin down, then place in a medium-sized baking dish. Fry the aubergine slices in the same pan, adding more oil if needed, allowing the fish flavours to soak into them.
- Layer the fried aubergine slices on top of the fish. Slice the potatoes and layer on top of the aubergines.
- Whisk all the ingredients for the sauce together and pour generously over the fish mixture. Scatter the breadcrumbs over the top and place in the oven.
- Bake for 15–20 minutes or until the breadcrumbs have gone golden and crispy.
- Sprinkle with fresh parsley and serve with a wedge of lemon and your choice of green veg or salad.
Doesn’t that sound like heaven?
Fish pie lovers will be all a-flutter about this rich dish.
Plus, it only takes 15 minutes to assemble, so it’s great for busy evenings.
If you’re trying to save on calories, you could swap out the cream for a lighter dairy product like milk (just add some flour to thicken), creme fraiche or natural yoghurt.
We can’t wait to whip this up tonight!